Egged on: Navigating the world of secondary infertility and egg donation

Join us on this journey into our hearts, a petri dish and (hopefully) my uterus.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

What are the risks for egg donors?

For me, Catholic school means something completely different than what it means for most of the world.
That's probably the case for most women who were fortunate enough to attend the all-girls Catholic high school that I attended.
It was full of enlightened, open-minded mostly female teachers who encouraged us to think about the consequences of our actions.
We heard from nuns who spent time in jail for protesting the military buildup at the time (early 1980s). We marched in peace walks with teachers and nuns. We were encouraged to volunteer to help out people in our communities.
Our school had a social justice club. It didn't have cheerleaders.
I wish my daughter could attend that school.
Anyway, why are we taking this trip in the way-back machine?
It's some background on why I tend to over-analyze the consequences of my actions.
I didn't step into the world of egg donation blindly. I tried to do some research into the consequences for the girls who donate. What happens to a young woman's body when she fills it will these hormones? What are the psychological effects of donating your DNA to complete strangers.
I've touched on all these issues in the blog. That represents just a fraction of the amount of consideration I've given to the ultimate cost of this -- the cost to the donor.
I'm a feminist. I'm supportive of reproductive freedom. I generally believe that women need to put focus on women's issues because it won't otherwise happen in what is still largely a "man's world." I'm all for women's rights.
This egg donation issue has created conflict for me. My desire to use an egg donor has not really fit neatly into the traditional liberal interpretation of how feminist women should look at things. I've struggled with it. I've talked to people about it. And I came to the conclusion that I need to make up my own mind on this issue.
Today I came across an article on the ourbodiesourblog.com site. It led me to a more detailed article on the site connected to the great ourbodiesourselves.com site.
This is testimony from a woman whose daughter developed colon cancer after three rounds of donations. She was testifying before Congress in support of a general registry for donors (I am very much in support of that as well.)
This touched me for many reasons.
Among them, one of my dearest friends died of colon cancer this year. She suffered through a year of treatment and pain before her body just couldn't fight anymore.
The thought of someone going through that as a result of a contract with me is unimaginable.
I'm not sure if there is a real medical link between massive amounts of hormones and colon cancer. No one is -- because there haven't been any studies.
But here's the link .. you can decide for yourself:
http://www.ourbodiesourselves.org/book/companion.asp?id=31&compID=97&page=4

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not an expert, but my DH is a dr and from what I do know of colon cancer, is that it is mostly genetic. I'm sure there are other reasons for colon cancer, but I disagree that it's related to the hormones she was on. My biggest fear for these amazing women who donate their precious eggs to us who are infertile, is their future fertility. I fear with too many donations they may have issues in the future. I pray and hope that you find an answer for yourself with egg donation and your feeling on it. I also pray that you get your little miracle somehow someway... Many prayers, Jojobee

In Due Time said...

Coming over from ICLW...

I hope you find comfort in whichever decision you settle with. It's definantly not an easy thing.

Anne said...

I keep thinking I'll know the right decision when I get a sign. But every sign seems to conflict. Thanks for all your positive thoughts and prayers.